ADSM-L

Re: Agent for lotus Notes

2000-04-11 11:36:54
Subject: Re: Agent for lotus Notes
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:36:54 -0400
Rob,

With Lotus Domino 5.0 came a new API written specifically
for doing backup and restore.  The API is new and does
not work with 4.x servers.  I don't think you can expect that
all new R5 APIs will be backward compatible, especially
if they take advantage of new function in the R5 server
(that didn't exist prior to R5)
which the new R5 backup/restore API does.

If you want to back up you Domino 4.x servers, you should use
TDP for Lotus Notes. It doesn't use APIs specifically written
for backup (because there weren't any with 4.x servers).
It uses other "messaging" type APIs to traverse through the
databases and store the contents on the TSM server.

For more details on the requirements of the products and
versions of Domino Servers supported, visit the
Tivoli web site at:

   http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/adsercli.htm

FWIW, I don't think IBM dropped the ball.  In fact,
TDP for Lotus Domino was the first one to support the new
R5 backup/restore APIs offered by Lotus Domino R5.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler