ADSM-L

Re: Backup STGPOOL MAXPRocess=2

2000-04-07 11:33:35
Subject: Re: Backup STGPOOL MAXPRocess=2
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:33:35 -0400
Dana,

The backup is done by nodes.  Each process will select a node and copy all
the files for that node.  What probably happened is that one of the
processes started on a node with a very large amount of data.  Meanwhile
the other process selected all the other nodes and they all had much less
data.  When there were no unselected nodes left, process 1 quit; process 2
will continue until it finishes the big node it is working on.  What I
don't know is if process 2 will quit when it finishes
the big node or if it will go look for more to do, that is back up nodes
that have arrived in the diskpool after process 1 finished.  I suspect it
will look for more to do.

I can't think of any way to balance this when you have a node with much
more data than average.  You can cancel the long running process and let
the data get backed up the next time.

--