ADSM-L

Re: DB2 Management Class

2000-04-07 10:03:23
Subject: Re: DB2 Management Class
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:03:23 -0500
How are you backing up your DB2 files ?
OK, I should probably say "You are archiving the db2 files rather than have
nightly incremental processing deal with them."
The archive command allows you to specify a managemet class to bind the data
to...
        -archmc=some_management_class
used like
        dsmc archive -archmc=30dayarc -pass=blah /d101/DB2/mydb2file

So what every you are using to back it up... basically you have two
choices...
1)      bring down the DB
        save all the data files (archive them away)
2)      put the DB (or table space at a time) in backup mode (or what every
for which flavor of DBblah you have
        save the DB files (or the files associated with the table space)

either way it makes sense to "save the data" via an adsm archive and use the
-archmc  option... (that way when the boss says "We have to keep tonight's
DB archives for 10 years !" it is really really easy to do...
DB archives for 10 years !" it is really really easy to do...

Dwight