ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Security -- looks pretty easy to get files

2000-04-06 14:35:01
Subject: Re: ADSM and Security -- looks pretty easy to get files
From: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 13:35:01 -0500
I didn't see what was posted to lead you down this path.  Did anyone mention
that with some competitors products you can simply grab a tape with data on
it and read the data.  With ADSM unless you have a copy of the DB then the
data on the tapes is useless.  The DB backup is transported off site with
the data tapes but there is no label on it saying it is a DB backup.  This
discussion could go on but...

I will echo others comments why must the backup product provide security?
If you need security of the data as it is being backed up then use VPN.  If
you want to secure the tapes as they are being sent off site then hire a
vaulting service.  Unless you are the CIA what are you worried about.  Today
if someone wants to get your companies data it seems like a 1960's approach
to try and still your backup tapes.  I believe, although I have no first
hand experience, that people seeking others data are using more advanced
means.

Kyle Payne
payne AT berbee DOT com