ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Backup over the WAN

2000-04-06 11:02:58
Subject: Re: ADSM Backup over the WAN
From: Lindsay Morris <lmorris AT OPENMIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 11:02:58 -0400
You have two issues, really: backup, and restore.

Backup: the initial backup will be painful over a slow line.  maybe you
can just burn up the line over a weekend and get it all done?
Otherwise... be creative. (I have some thoughts on this.)

Restores: make portable backup sets monthly, for each of the remote
sites.  (This means you'll want your TSM server to be able to write
CD-ROMS.  Get a small optical jukebox.)  Send these CDs to the remote
sites regularly.  Then if they need a full restore, they first restore
from the CD - that will leave them maybe a month out of date - then
restore over the WAN from the TSM server to come completely up to date,
without having to send all 20Gig (or whatever) over the WAN.

--
Mr. Lindsay Morris
Mr. Lindsay Morris