ADSM-L

*SM and OS/390 users

2000-04-03 09:37:10
Subject: *SM and OS/390 users
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:37:10 +0200
Hi,

Can the guys/gals who are still running *SM on OS/390
please give me some info as to what their current config
looks like - not the whole network - just the part out
of the OS/390 system to the first hub on the network.
We are currently having some serious bottleneck on our
bandwidth into OS/390 and our architecture guys do not
want to change anything if we can not give them some real
stats on environments where this is actually working and people
are happy with the performance. I've read the paper kindly
supplied by Angelo and the stats are very impressive.

Nevertheless the architecture guys are pushing us towards
AIX and not OS/390. I would prefer staying with OS/390 as
we have electronic vaulting already in place for this
environment and changing to AIX would mean a major change
in the infrastructure required - not just changing our pipe
into OS/390. Let me give you our current environment:
OS/390 V2.6 - ADSM V3.1.2.40. OS/390-Escon-IBM3172-16M/bit T/Ring
connected to 155 M/Bit ATM backbone (Bare in mind that this 3172
is not only dedicated to ADSM but is shared with 3 other LPARS
running quite big file transfers from open systems to OS/390).
From this it is clear that the 3172 is the bottleneck but what
is currently available and what kind of throughput are you getting into
OS/390?

You can reply private and I'll present a summary to the list.

Regards
Christo Heuer
ABSA Bank
Johannesburg