ADSM-L

3590 Tape Drives

2000-03-30 08:46:53
Subject: 3590 Tape Drives
From: "David Browne." <dbrowne AT HUMANA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:46:53 -0500
Currently we have three Tivoli Storage Manager servers and we are at
Version3 Release7 level 1.0 ,we run on OS 390 2.5, however we are in the
process of upgrading to OS390 2.8 .  We use 36 track tapes and STK silos
with 3490E tape drives(STK 9490-M34). We are considering moving all of our
TSM tape processing to Magstar 3590 tape drives installed in the silos(IBM
3590-E1A) and use the 10GB tapes(20GB X 256 Tracks/ 80GB compressed). I am
concerned about all of our current backup tapes. Some are still on 18 track
tapes(created on MTC 5490 tape drives) and most are 36 track tapes( created
in STK silos). I am concerned about doing restores and filling the 10GB
tapes.  Has anyone converted and what problems have you encountered?