ADSM-L

Re: Help in setting up schedule

2000-03-27 11:38:23
Subject: Re: Help in setting up schedule
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:38:23 -0600
Andy  (Dwight here), unless they have really small clients I would point out
where this will have little room for expansion as the clients grow.
What happens when they run past one tape per day ? ? ?

Storage pools using sequential access devices will not allow you to specify
a specific volume, just the maximum number of scratch volumes allowed.

If they really want to do something that will allow them to remove sets of
tapes like you have described  all I can think of doing would be make your
scheduled events be full archives with a retention of 20 days (this way the
data would expire on the 21st day, right at 3 weeks)
Load up 6 tapes on Monday, each day after clients have backed up (or
archived) their data, set the used tape's access to "readonly"  this will
isolate each day's data to a single tape.
Just keep a physical record of which volumes belong to which weeks set of
tapes (week-1, week-2, or week-3)
Once the data expires off the tapes and they roll back scratch, the
"readonly" access setting will reset to readwrite automatically

later,
        Dwight