ADSM-L

Re: ADSM /400 performance?

2000-03-23 15:28:50
Subject: Re: ADSM /400 performance?
From: MIKE HANLEY <mhanley AT NHBB DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:28:50 -0500
We are running on 3570 tape drives and use AS/400 models 170-2291, 510-2143, and
620-2180 running ADSM Ver 3.1.1.7.  We also run over a 16 mb token ring LAN at
each site and use TCP/IP as a connection method.   Our clients are NT 4.0
servers running with raid DASD and ADSM Ver 3.1.06.

 We have found the performance to be quite a bit slower than we wanted.  We do
Absolute Incremental backups at the begining of each month and Modified
Incremental daily backups the rest of the month.  Our largest client has about
35 GB and takes almost 24 hours to do the Absolute backup at the beginning of
the month.  The smaller clients (generally between 7 and 10 GB) take 9 to 14
hours to complete.

We have worked with various buffersizes, window sizes, compressed/no
compression, etc but have yet to make a dent in the performance of the backups.

While the backups are a major concern, the restores have always been quite good.
Of course, most all of the restores have only involved either a small group of
files or a single directory with the largest restore being about 200 MB.

I hope that this helps provide a viewpoint from another AS/400 shop.

Don Schmeichel <Don_Schmeichel AT CNT DOT COM> on 03/23/2000 03:05:05 PM