ADSM-L

symbolic links

2000-03-23 14:48:19
Subject: symbolic links
From: "Jones, Bernard" <bernard_jones AT MERCK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:48:19 -0500
Hello All:

A question from one of my colleagues:

**********************
Question:       Can include command in the include-exclude option files use
symbolic links?

Details:        In our environment, all Informix devices are identified by
symbolic links as recommended by Informix.
        Such as,        Physical Path                   Symbolic Links
                        /dev/dbvg01/rdbt00_xyz01
/Development/SERVER1_DEVICES/dbt00_xyz01
                        /dev/dbvg01/rdbt00_xyz02
/Development/SERVER1_DEVICES/dbt00_xyz02
                        /dev/dbvg02/rdbt00_xyz03
/Development/SERVER1_DEVICES/dbt00_xyz03
                        /dev/dbvg03/rdbt00_xyz04
/Development/SERVER1_DEVICES/dbt00_xyz04
                        /dev/dbvg04/rdbt99_xyz01
/Development/SERVER1_DEVICES/dbt99_xyz01

I want to use the include command to assign management class to devices of
SERVER1, as follow;

        include /Development/SERVER1_DEVICES/* mgclass_server1

But, in the ADSM manual, page 78, "Examples Using Wildcards with Include and
Exclude Patterns". There is a note; says "The include and exclude commands
do not work with symbolic links to directories; do not use /u in these
commands. For example, instead of: include /u/tmp/sav.fil use include
/home/tmp/save.fil."

Translate to our environment, I probably can not use the include command as;
        include /Development/SERVER1_DEVICES/* mgclass_server1
instead I need to use include command as;
        include /dev/dbvg01/* mgclass_server1
        include /dev/dbvg02/* mgclass_server1
        include /dev/dbvg03/* mgclass_server1
        include /dev/dbvg04/* mgclass_server1

If I am correct in understanding that include and exclude commands do not
work with symbolic links, this can prohibit us using include command to
assign different management class for different Informix server.

Please confirm whether include and exclude commands work with symbolic
links. Thank you.

Thanks,
Bernard A. Jones
Manager Storage Administration