ADSM-L

newbie alert

2000-03-23 13:20:02
Subject: newbie alert
From: "Cao, Chan" <ccao AT BROOKS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:20:02 -0500
Hi folks,

I'm new to ADSM.  Been reading docs left and right but still don't seem
to find answers to some of the questions.  Maybe they're not applicable
after all.  Anyways, any kind soul would take a few minutes and help me
I'll be very appreciative.

1.  How does the scheduler for ADSM work?  Is it client bound or server
        bound?  By that I mean the scheduler is run on the client and when
        the time comes, it initiates backup.  Or does the server send events
        to the client to start backup when the time comes.

2.  How's security on ADSM?  What if a DHCP client got its IP changed?
        in this case, host based security is not good as in case of Legato
        Networker for 95, the older version at least.

3.  How much load on the client laptop machines?  configurable?  I had
        Networker on 95 and NT and it would bring the client to a stand
        still.

4.      I hear mentions of Veritas having a sort of 'checkpoint' backup.
        meaning you don't have to restart the backup, the server finds
        where it left off the last time and continue on.

5.      I have offices linked together via a WAN...I'm going to move
        data to local tape servers but want both centralized and also
        decentralized administration?  Have you implemented ADSM for such
        an environment?

6.    How is ADSM support for new filesystems/OS?  I mean, how quickly
        can they come out with new modules for say new version of Oracle,
        or Windows?

7.      Is there a conscious effort in addressing laptop/mobile user?

8.      same question but for mobile Unix users.

9.      Exchange server support?

10.     NDMP, HSM, SANS...bunch of buzzwords support?

11.     technical support?

12.     stability?

If there's anything you can add...I will write a summary.

Thanks.

Chan