ADSM-L

Re: Offsite setup ...

2000-03-22 23:38:30
Subject: Re: Offsite setup ...
From: "France, Don (Pace)" <don.france-eds AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 23:38:30 -0500
Sean,

Without excruciating detail, you simply create a backup copy of your storage
pool... the one you want to have offsite storage protection.  The command
would be something like "backup stg xxx yyy".  This is the classic "poor
man's disaster recovery" -- this is basically a LAN-less backup of the "xxx"
storage pool;  if you're using a hierarchy of primary storage pools for the
backup data, run backup once for each unique "xxx" primary pool... you'll
end up with only one instance of a given file in the "yyy" copy (backup)
storage pool.

You didn't indicate what you're doing to get "full backup" or what level of
client or server you're using, and there are some fundamental differences in
some possible solutions;  eg, with TSM-3.7 you can produce a weekly
"snapshot" using the "instant archive" feature of backup sets... see the TSM
Technical Guide (Redbook) at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com -- search for ADSM
and/or TSM.  A better start would be the "Getting Started" Redbook ---
that's where you can learn the fundamentals;  go there to read up on the
details of using copy storage pools.  If you only look at two books,
download these two (they're available in PDF format), for frequent
reference!

BTW, you should simply run "full-incremental" forever... no need for a
special "full" backup since *SM always has the latest copy of all the backed
up files in backup storage.  You may want to run INCRemental-by-date during
the week if full-incremental takes too long.

Don France

Technical Architect, P.A.C.E.
San Jose, CA
mailto:dfrance AT pacbell DOT net