ADSM-L

Re: Newbie question about moving tapes offsite w/o DRM

2000-03-22 14:58:35
Subject: Re: Newbie question about moving tapes offsite w/o DRM
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT NISA.GC DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:58:35 -0600
Hi John,

assuming you have DRM all installed properly do something like this:

1. backup your clients to a primary storage pool (ie BACKUP)
    adsm: dsmc inc

2. backup your primary storage pool to an offsite pool (OFFSITE)
   adsm: backup stgpool backup offsite

3. backup your devconfig and volhist files, create your DRM plan and backup
your ADSM database (very important)

and your question:
4. remove your daily tapes,
    adsm: move drm * wherestate=mo remove=bulk

5. update the drm status of the tapes you just removed
   adsm: move drm * wherestate=notmo tostate=vault

(in fact I don't like using move drm *, use move drm 06xxxx for each tape is
better)

And that's a good start, but by no means complete. Anything else?

Miles

----------------
Miles Purdy, System Manager
Miles Purdy, System Manager
purdym AT nisa.gc DOT ca
Net Income Stabilization Account
Winnipeg, MB, CA
(204) 984-1602

>>> "John N. Stacey" <staceyj AT MVBMS DOT COM> 22-Mar-00 10:35:41 AM >>>
Hello,
   Can anyone point me in the right direction as to finding the correct
steps to take when moving tapes offsite without the use of DRM?

We are currently running TSM version 3 release 7, a 36gb primary storage
pool and a 96-slot ATL7100 DLT library which is set up as our copy pool.
We are running out of scratch tapes and need to move some of the filled
tapes to offsite storage.

Things I am confused about are how you decide which tapes should be ejected.
My best guess would be to eject the tapes which haven't been accessed in 30
days or so, but which command would you issue to make a list of those tapes?
Also, which command would you issue to make these tapes offline and eject
them?

As a newbie...any help would be extremely appreciated.
Thank You.
        -john