ADSM-L

Backing up NT

2000-03-21 00:45:11
Subject: Backing up NT
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:45:11 -0800
I?m new to TSM and we recently started backing up some NT clients. By
default it looks like in the report there are a series of files that
routinely do not get backed up because the operating system has them open
all the time. Upon closer examination some of them hold local user logins
and such. This brings up the question of doing a restore from this backed up
data. If the client box in question dies and we wish to restore from this
data can we get the system back completely? It doesn?t appear so..

Whats the most common way to properly back up an NT client?

By default is the registry getting backed up ok?

I?m assuming to restore at this point we have to install NT on a new box,
get the network up and running, install TSM client for NT, then restore all
files. I?m curious as to what we?ll end up having after this and surely
someone in this list can explain to me how to do a proper NT backup :-)

Thanks!