ADSM-L

FW: An oddly long incremental

2000-03-17 12:07:24
Subject: FW: An oddly long incremental
From: Andrew Taylor <AndrewTaylor2 AT HALIFAX.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:07:24 -0000
> *SM'ers,
>
> Having been tasked with evaluating TSM v.3.7, I've had the trouble of
> being pulled away towards even more different projects than usual. So, I
> would like a bit of reassurance on an odd looking result before getting
> myself  back in front of the test rig in a couple of weeks time.
>
> The test environment was:
>
> STK9714/DLT7000
> -ADSM server & client with NT4SP4 and 384/448 MB memory respectively on
> Compaq 1600
> -v.3.7.0.0, no PTF applied
> -Test data: 75 GB FPS type data (circa 700k files) on client
> -Isolated 100 mbps network
> -Backed up uncollocated & w'out client compression directly to tape with
> keepmp=yes, resourceutilization=10 (perhaps not a typical live config.,
> but wanted to see how much juice we could get out the multisession backup
> on this config.), default maxnummp
>
> A full backup in this config took around 9h55m (a slight improvement) and
> then, in the intervening weekend, an incremental with almost no change
> data (5 MB) chugged in at 6h13m, which is definitely not what we'd expect.
> Does the client spend all its time trying to multithread with such an
> extreme config - for instance, could it be dividing up the workload of a
> number of subdirectories when v.3.1 would just realise that the top level
> directory has not changed at all, so move on? We looked at the usual
> perfmon things on the client side a little during the full backup, and it
> seemed to be coping from that point of view.
>
> Anyone seen anything similar?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Andrew Taylor,
> Halifax plc,
> Yorkshire,
> UK
>
> andrewtaylor2 AT halifax.co DOT uk
>
> This message is attributable to the sender and does not necessarily
> reflect the view of Halifax Group plc or its subsidiaries

 03/17/00 17:07:35
Part of the Halifax Group, Halifax Group plc, Registered in England No.
2367076.  Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG.
Represents only the Halifax Financial Services Marketing Group for the purposes
of advising on and selling life assurance, pensions and unit trust business.
The Marketing Group is regulated by the Personal Investment Authority.
Switchboard 01422 333333.