ADSM-L

IRIX HSM problems

2000-03-16 17:59:32
Subject: IRIX HSM problems
From: John Valdes <j-valdes AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:59:32 -0600
All,

Sorry for being redundant, but we're having ADSM HSM problems... :(

We're running the ADSM HSM client, v.3.1.0.8 on IRIX 6.5 (6.5.6m to be
exact).  The problem is that dsmreconcile hangs.

After it starts up, it successfully reads the premigration database
and retrieves the list of migrated files from the ADSM server, but
then it seems to hang while traversing the filessytem:

  Reconciling '/hsm00' file system:
    Reading the current premigration database...
           Read 2015 entries
    Querying the ADSM server for a list of migrated files...
           Received 126508 entries
    Now traversing the file system...

It never moves beyond this point.  If I query this client's session on
the server, it shows up w/ a session state of Idle Wait for hours:

  adsm> q session

     Sess Comm.  Sess     Wait   Bytes   Bytes Sess  Platform Client Name
   Number Method State    Time    Sent   Recvd Type
  ------- ------ ------ ------ ------- ------- ----- -------- ------------
  170,148 Tcp/Ip IdleW  5.4 H   33.9 M   1.3 K Node  IRIX     HSMCLIENT

(it will stay idle until the dsmreconcile process is terminated; I've
let it run for as long as than 48 hours.)  In contrast, w/ another HSM
client (running AIX), wait time while the client is traversing its
filesystem is typically no more that a few minutes.

Communication between the client and server seems to be OK, as I can
manually migrate files w/o problems using dsmmigrate and dsmrecall
(automatic recall works fine too).

As a result of this problem, dsmreconcile can never build a candidate
migration file list, and as a result, threshold migration won't work.

Has anyone seen this behavior and/or know how to fix it?

John

John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
j-valdes AT uchicago DOT edu                               University of Chicago