ADSM-L

Re: 20 minutes Waiting for files

2000-03-15 11:53:43
Subject: Re: 20 minutes Waiting for files
From: Andreas Boesler <aboe AT BEBIT.BUB DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:53:43 +0100
The size of our DB is only 800 MB.

I should tell: Last week we did an upgrade from 3.1.1.3 to 3.1.2.50.
With 3.1.1.3 we had only "normal" restores.

I did more tests:

  o If I restore files without the directory,
    ADSM works "normal":

      Client-GUI          Sess State   Comments
      Preparing           MediaW       ADSM mounts a tape
      Transferring        sendW        ADSM restores the objects

  o If I restore the same files including the directory,
    ADSM works "NOT normal":

      Client-GUI          Sess State   Comments
      Waiting for files   Run          for 15 minutes !!!
      Waiting for files   MediaW/Run   ADSM mounts 1-3 !!! tapes
                                       and restores NO objects
      Waiting for files   MediaW       ADSM mounts a tape
      Transferring        sendW        ADSM restores the objects

There are NO other processes or sessions.
The filesystem has got 500.000 files.
Restores with small filesystems are OK !

Questions:

o How can I monitor, what ADSM does during the 15 minutes ?
o What is the difference between "Waiting for files" and "Preparing" ?

Thanks,
Andreas.