ADSM-L

Re: What do these error messages mean?

2000-03-14 17:33:27
Subject: Re: What do these error messages mean?
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:33:27 -0500
Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> replied to ..., in part..
>>More than 100 lines of the following in dsmerror.log:
>>03/13/2000 12:29:34 GetBackupStreamSize(): CreateFile(): Win32 RC = 32.
>>03/13/2000 12:29:34 TransWin32RC(): Win32 RC 32 from fioGetAttrib():
>GetBackupStreamInfo
>
>Tivoli client development:
>    When are the clients going to be written to actually handle,
interpret,
>    and meaningfully report errors instead of simply passing on conditions
>    encountered in the operating system?  ...

In my estimation, not in our lifetimes.  While there are probably
numerous instances of the above, there are also numerous instances of
bad design and omission of important facilities.  I'm sure we all have a
pet list.  Some of mine are

(1) the above message

(2) lack of GUI management for the NT scheduler service

(3) packaging of all languages, so that, for example, the
    NT installable is 27 megs.  I'd like the option of creating
    1 (or more) language-specific distributions.

(4) An audit trail such as DSMSCHED.LOG for all interactive operations,
     such as an ad hoc backup.

(5) A Windows GUI that contains useful information presented
    in a pleasing manner that doesn't say "Stopped by user" whenever
    I try to move windows around.  ("Restore" really has improved
    over the years ... maybe there is hope).  Missing path info
    on the current backup file has been a frequent complaint here.
    Well, more like astonishment than complaint.

(6) A client that reports my server is back-level, when it isn't.
    The client was 3.7 and the server at latest available 3.1 (VM).

(7) A supported Linux client.

(8) Removal of the Admin client from the "Typical" installation
    package WITHOUT REMOVAL OF THE ADMIN CLIENT! Sorry for shouting.

On a positive note, the installation has improved over the years.  After
tailoring the Windows 3.1.0.8 version, I used InstallShield's "Install
For The Web/2" to make 1 file, personalized self-extracting and
auto-installing EXE.  Very cool.  Try it at http://Maine.edu/ADSM/ if
you'd like. For an install, the default server will be a TCPIP@ Maine :-)).

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith           ADSM/TSM Technical Coordinator -- UNET
ADSM AT Maine DOT edu           University of Maine System