ADSM-L

Re: What do these error messages mean?

2000-03-14 13:04:04
Subject: Re: What do these error messages mean?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:04:04 -0500
Eliza, it is USUALLY ok to ignore the error messages about NTUSER.DAT, as
long as you are clear about what your recovery requirements are.

What is in NTUSER.DAT is the logged-on user's profile.  This can include a
significant amount of customization that the user may want back in case of a
bare-metal recovery or a damaged registry that has to be restored.

However, this same information is backed up during the logical registry
backup.

The customization can be recovered from either one - either the registry
backup of the Current User registry hive, or a physical backup of
NTUSER.DAT.

So as long as you get a registry backup, or you don't care about the
customization, you can ignore the messages.

For example:

On an NT server, the logged on user is usually an administrator, or may be a
data base admin account.  Most people don't do a lot of customization of the
administrators' ids on servers, and don't care if it gets set back to the
default profile.  So it's safe to ignore the errors on NTUSER.DAT.

If the backup is being run from the GUI interface on an ADSM 3.1 client, the
incremental backup includes the backup of the registry, including the
current user's profile, by default.  So it's OK to ignore the errors.

If the backup is being run from the GUI interface on the TSM 3.7 client, the
incremental backup appears NOT to include the registry by default.  However
if the user checks SYSTEM OBJECTS to get a registry backup, the profile will
be backed up as well, and you can ignore errors on NTUSER.DAT.

If your NT system is NT Workstation, and the backup is being run by the
scheduler instead of the GUI, then the registry is backed up by default
during an incremental backup.  However, the backup of the "current user"
registry hive backs up the profile of the "system" id that runs the
scheduler, not the profile of any user who is logged on and working on the
workstation.  In this case, it may NOT be safe to ignore those errors.  If
the user is ALWAYS LOGGED ON when the scheduled backup runs, there is a hole
in your backups because neither the profile in the registry nor NTUSER.DAT
is backed up.  We get around this by putting a .bat file in the user's
startup group that says:  dsmc regback user curuser

That causes the current user's profile to get backed up each time the user
logs on.  Not a pretty circumvention, but it works.

If you are backing up NT workstation, and the backup is being run by the
scheduler instead of the GUI, but your backups run at night when the users
are all logged off, then all their NTUSER.DAT files will back up without
errors.

Hope this helps...

Wanda Prather