ADSM-L

Re: MVS ADSM Backups scheduling

2000-03-10 11:02:40
Subject: Re: MVS ADSM Backups scheduling
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:02:40 -0500
> Our problem has always been that the ADSM Client backups that get stored on
> the mainframe are "all" setup to start at a particular time. We have no
> control over the time when a "particular server" gets backed up. I.e. the
> MVS part initiates the backups at 18:00 and it just connects to the clients
> and starts to backup each client.
>
> I went to an unrelated class with someone who told me that these backups can
> be turned into MVS batch jobs that can be scheduled. Can anyone point me in
> the right direction?

The scheduler built into the MVS ADSM server is quite capable of backing up
different clients at different times. It is just a matter of defining as many
distinct schedules as needed and then defining associations between each
schedule and the client or clients that will use it.

It would also be fairly easy to set up an MVS batch job that would initiate a
backup by executing a 'define clientaction' command. It should be noted that
such a batch job would end almost immediately, with the client backup
continuing to run under the control of the ADSM server. I know of no easy way
to set up a batch job that would wait for the backup to finish and then
terminate with step return codes that depended on the success or failure of
the backup.