ADSM-L

TSM 3.7.1 UNIX Client PiT Restore

2000-03-09 18:35:44
Subject: TSM 3.7.1 UNIX Client PiT Restore
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:35:44 -0800
We recently tried doing a point in time restore for 3/7/2000 on a particular
directory. We?ve tried using both the web client and the GUI with the same
results. We go into it, select restore, select the point in time button,
click the ?use point in time? checkbox, set the date to 3/7/2000 and the
time to that afternoon, select the directory we wish to restore, and then
restore it to a new location.

Oddly we are expecting to get 2 files restored but it only restores 1 file
(the smaller one.. the large 300MB file doesn?t get restored). By doing a
Query Backup I can see that indeed two files were backed up on 3/7 as well
as on 3/6.. If I select view->inactive and active files to see what is in
there (after doing the point in time selection) only 1 file shows up there
as well. Obviously the client for whatever reason is only finding the one
file when doing a point in time..

If I don?t do a point in time and simply select view->inactive and active
and go to that directory to see whats there, sure enough I see both files.
Any ideas as to why it may not pick up the other file? Even if the time it
was backed up is after the time we specify in our point in time, shouldn?t
it restore the 2nd file from the previous day (i.e. last inactive copy
before my point in time)? Either we found a bug or I?m misunderstanding how
a point in time is supposed to work. Pretty much every day over the last
couple weeks both files have been backed up nightly. This we know because
they show up in a q backup command or using the gui and selecting
view->inactive and active. It?s just there is something quirky about the way
a point in time works or the way we understand it should work.

We DO have the latest ptf?s installed on the client and server side..

Gerald Wichmann
RS Engineer
Sansia System Solutions
408-844-8893 work