ADSM-L

Re: Can two ADSM servers share a 3494 library and be configured to both have direct access to all drives?

2000-03-03 17:24:08
Subject: Re: Can two ADSM servers share a 3494 library and be configured to both have direct access to all drives?
From: "Joshua S. Bassi" <jbassi AT GLORYWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:24:08 -0800
Jason,

Hello.  I will assume you are talking about *SM AIX servers.
This request has been brought before both this list and the
*SM developers many times.  And the good news is that eventually this
will be an easy feet.  But as of now it is not quite that easy.

The only way to dynamically allocate 3590s between two AIX *SM servers
is to write some type of script that will find a free drive on server1,
deallocate it, and then reallocate it to server2.  Not a fun process.
But it is technically possible since each 3590 has 2 SCSI ports on the
back of this.  I have done something similar between an AIX ADSM server
and an AS/400 running BRMS.  It wasn't fun!

My suggesting to you would be to wait for the AIX version of the TSM SAN
Tape Sharing feature to become gernally available.

--
Joshua S. Bassi
Joshua S. Bassi