ADSM-L

Unix GUI client and expose events

2000-02-28 16:35:54
Subject: Unix GUI client and expose events
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:35:54 -0500
I have lately been running into a very annoying usability problem with the
Unix implementation of the dsm command. Movement of other windows on my
workstation sometimes causes part or all of the dsm window to be covered and
then uncovered. When this happens, my workstation sends a message (called an
expose event) to dsm telling it that it needs to redraw the part of its window
that was temporarily covered. Almost every X Window application I have any
experience with responds to expose events with a barely perceptible delay or
with no perceptible delay at all. The dsm command routinely takes tens of
seconds to respond to expose events, and sometimes takes minutes. We are using
the 3.1.0.6 level of the client code on most of our Unix systems. Do any of
the more recent levels of the client code bring responsiveness to expose
events up to normal professional standards for X Window applications?