ADSM-L

Backup to tape

2000-02-27 20:39:24
Subject: Backup to tape
From: Eric Winters <ewinters AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:39:24 +1100
Dear All,

I have a situation in which a critical BACKINT database backup initiated
by a scheduler on an AIX server. (ie not the ADSM scheduler).
Today the backup goes to disk, but the backup is growing quickly and
exceeds the size of the disk based storage pool. Migration to tape slows
everything down unacceptably. So I intend to backup directly to tape by
adjusting the maxfilesize parameter of the storage pool or possibly by
changing the destination pool to a tapepool . My concern is that no drives
may be available for this critical backup. How can I guarantee that the
backup to tape will happen without delay? Is there anyway to preempt other
operations?

I'm on ADSM 3.1.2.40 on AIX 4.3.2.
Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Regards,