ADSM-L

Re: ping-pong backup using netware & NT

2000-02-25 21:07:29
Subject: Re: ping-pong backup using netware & NT
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 19:07:29 -0700
Theoretically it will work and some users do this, but I do not
generally recommend it. Trustee rights and other advanced attributes
are not supported, and I would have to imagine that the performance
would be slower than running the native NetWare client.

On the other hand, the one advantage this offers over using the
NetWare client is that it allows individual users to back up and
restore their own files. The native NetWare client requires that
a NetWare administrator do the backups and restores.

In 25 words or less, I would say that unless there is a compelling
reason to do this, use the native NetWare client.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

The opinions expressed here are my own, and not necessarily those
of IBM or Tivoli.

Joseph A Faracchio wrote:
Joseph A Faracchio wrote:

For reasons I don't want to discuss a user is asking if he can mount
Netware (3
) filesystems on an NT server(as ADSM Client)  and then run ADSM backups
from an NT Server (as an ADSM Client) to our AIX ADSM SERVER.

Anyone have experience in this area and can say OK or NO-NO?????
thanks ... joe.f.

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley