ADSM-L

Re: Mirroring vs Raid5

2000-02-24 03:17:27
Subject: Re: Mirroring vs Raid5
From: "Dr. Michael Bruewer" <bruewer AT UNI-HOHENHEIM DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:17:27 +0100
Hello,

if all db- and log-mirrors are on the same RAID5 disk set, mirroring is
redundant. If something should happen to this disk set, both mirrors are
affected. However, one could imagine a rare situation where ADSM corrupts one
mirror and takes it offline while the other remains ok. But I don't know wether
there is a real chance or wether this has ever happend and I think this
possibility is not worth keeping mirrors on a RAID5 set. But maybe it would be
better to put mirrors on simple disks and reserve the RAID5 ressources for the
stage?

> At this time storage resources are a problem. We are Raid5 (EMC) and we
> have database and recovery log mirroring. Is this redundant?. Could we
> safely delete our mirrors and use the space for the logs and rely on
> Raid5?

----
Dr. Michael Br"uwer
Dr. Michael Br"uwer
RZ der Univ. Hohenheim     70593 Stuttgart
bruewer AT uni-hohenheim DOT de   www.uni-hohenheim.de/~bruewer
Fon: +49-711-459-3838      Fax: -3449
PGP Public Key:
   RSA: http://www.uni-hohenheim.de/~bruewer/pgpkey_V2