ADSM-L

Recovery Log Full: Please Expound

2000-02-23 11:17:42
Subject: Recovery Log Full: Please Expound
From: Vint Maggs <vint.maggs AT SRS DOT GOV>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:17:42 -0500
Hello,
        I am currently running TSM 3.7 on Solaris 2.6, in rollforward
mode. I have read many of the messages relating to full recovery logs and
how to recover. To that end I have used the dsmfmt command to format a new
log volume. I then issued a dsmserv extend log command. It returned with
"ANR7804I A TSM server is already running from this directory."  This
indicates that I cannot issue this command while the server is running.  I
did a ps-ef | grep dsm and saw that the dsmserv process is still running.
I tried to stop the TSM server using /etc/init.d/tsm stop and I get the
error messages "ANS1316E The server does not have enough recovery log
space to continue the current operation" and "ANS8023E Unable to establish
session with the server". Attempting to extend the log via TSM batch
commands gets the same results, as do any batch commands at this point.
        So...  How do I proceed? If I kill the dsmserv process because I
cannot gracefully halt or stop it will I lose data?  Having killed it,
should I then issue the dsmserv extend log command and will that preserve
my data?

Thanks for your assistance!

Vint Maggs
TSM Administrator