ADSM-L

Recovery log

2000-02-18 08:43:41
Subject: Recovery log
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:43:41 +0100
Hi *SM-ers!
I will soon migrate my ADSM 3.1.50 server on a H50 to TSM 3.7.2 on a H70
server.
I'm trying to figure out the best disk layout on the H70.
I will put the database on an AIX mirrored SSA disk en because of the
mirror, I decided not to use the roll forward mode for the recovery log (I
will accept the risk of loosing both disks during a real disaster, like fire
or something).
As far as I could find out, ADSM/TSM doesn't generate a high load on the
recovery log when running in normal mode. It's not quite clear to me why
ADSM/TSM is using the recovery log at all when running in normal mode. The
Admin Guide says it's only used for 'uncommitted transactions' but not how
you can prevent/minimize this.
Is it very unwise, looking from a performance perspective, to put both the
database and the recovery log on the same physical (mirrored) disk when
running in normal mode?
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon