ADSM-L

tape errors - lots of them

2000-02-17 13:12:43
Subject: tape errors - lots of them
From: "Chien, Patty" <Patty.Chien AT PSHS DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:12:43 -0800
Hi,
I have encountered a lot of read-errors on the on-site tapes. Able to write
to it but when reading from it, it logged many errors.
First thought it was bad tapes, but the bad tape turned out just fine
(readable/writable with no errors) on another system. Cleaned tape drives a
few times. The tape unit was also tested using NT backup utility and was
able to back up, restored and read the restored data ok. Even the new tapes
with few mounts resulted in read-errors. It seemed to have happened when
tapes are in either of the two drives.
Does anybody know if this is a tape issue, or hardware issue? I was told to
make sure it's a hardware issue before having the vendor come out and look
at the tape unit.

ADSM v3.1.2.20 runs on NT. Tape unit is DLT 4000, ADIC Scalar 218 with 2
drives.

I'd appreciate any input.

Patty Chien