ADSM-L

Tape Sharing

2000-02-16 14:28:43
Subject: Tape Sharing
From: "David M. Hendrix" <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:28:43 -0600
The only catch in the whole scenario is support on Sun.

This option is listed as valid in 3.1.2.x+ options for AIX, but not for
Sun.  Hence, it appears they are dropping support for (what used to be)
their own hardware (3494/3590 combos) on non-AIX hosted platforms, but
don't have the TSM SAN drive sharing support for AIX yet (but that wouldn't
do me any good anyway).

If I had a clue as to what they were thinking when they released this
support, I'd be alot better off.  As it is, it appears the right hand knows
not what the left hand is doing.  In the meantime, customers that invested
in the software technology and the library hardware technology look to be
hung out to dry.

That's okay though.  Veritas supports the config I'm speaking of.  And to
tell you the truth, we've waited long enough to have a valid drive sharing
config on any of our platforms.  We have AIX, Sun and HP servers, but only
one type of library: 3494 with 3590s.  What's harder: replacing all your
libraries, or all your software?  Both aren't fun, but the new
installations require drive sharing, period.  We have over 80 3590B/E
drives in 15 libraries in three different datacenters attached to over 17
ADSM servers.

If they don't deliver - and soon, I'll be signing off of here in 1 year.

We can't wait any longer for them to catch up.

David

Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT computing-services.oxford.ac DOT uk> on
02/16/2000 02:54:32 AM

Please respond to Sheelagh Treweek
      <sheelagh.treweek AT computing-services.oxford.ac DOT uk>