ADSM-L

Mirroring primary disk stgpool volumes

2000-02-15 18:18:38
Subject: Mirroring primary disk stgpool volumes
From: Steve Harris <steveh AT WESLEY.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:18:38 +1000
This discussion prompts me to ask about mirroring of primary disk storage pools.

The consultant who set up my site went for the "no-one can point a finger at me"
option and set up adsm on four AIX disks as two mirrored pairs,
One pair has the database and primary storagepool volumes used for archives, the
other has five(!) 1GB primary  storagepools used for backups and the adsm log.

Consequently, when I'm backing up my main oracle application, the second pair of
disks are 100% busy. It is also wasteful of space.

I have other disk on this box which is used for application development, but
most of this is not mirrored. There is lots of space but they're all 9GB drives,
so there aren't all that many spindles.  The box is its own backup server. I'm
considering placing storagepool volumes all over this.

Do other sites mirror primary disk storage pools? Is this a luxury to afford if
it is possible?

Thanks

Steve Harris
AIX/ADSM/Oracle/HACMP Guy
The Wesley Hospital, Brisbane Australia

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> on 16/02/2000 03:24:46