ADSM-L

Re: Collocation

2000-02-15 17:30:48
Subject: Re: Collocation
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:30:48 -0500
At 04:45 PM 2/15/2000 +0100, Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM wrote:
>Hi *SM-ers!
>I'm currently using collocation for all my nodes. I found out that a lot of
>them are just using one tape and thus turning off collocation for them would
>be wise.

Eric;  It does not follow that turning off collocation would be wise if
your nodes are using one tape each.  In fact, this is the desireable result
of using collocation.  If you turn off collocation, you will find your node
data spread across a bunch of tapes.

>So I created a non-collocated primary tape pool for them and since I do not
>want clients to backup directly to tape I also created a diskpool which has
>the non collocated tapepool as next pool.
>Now my problem: When I want to backup to this new diskpool I have to create
>disk pool volumes for this diskpool, using the dsmfmt tool. I tried adding
>the disk volumes I already use in the collocated diskpool to the
>non-collocated diskpool, but that's not allowed by ADSM.
>Does this mean that you cannot use the same physical disk volumes for both
>collocated as non-collocated data? If that's the case, I will have to split
>up my (already small) physical disk pool!

This is correct.  One disk storage pool cannot be used to feed multiple
sequential storage pools.  You need a separate disk pool for each
sequential pool.

>Am I overlooking something simple here?
>Thanks in advance for any reply!
>Kindest regards,