ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Client Scheduler - Sun Clients

2000-02-11 09:38:09
Subject: Re: ADSM Client Scheduler - Sun Clients
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:38:09 -0500
> >>adsm::once:/usr/bin/dsmc sched >> /tmp/adsm.log 2>&1
> >I would caution against using Solaris /tmp space for any logs,
> >given that /tmp there is actually swap space.
> >I've seen too many Solaris servers lock up or fail because some
> >logging filled /tmp and thus all swap space - and because /tmp
> >is purged on restart, what caused it can evaporate.
> >By definition /var is for variable files, and logs are best kept
> >in /var/log.
>
> Not a problem in this case since the machine in question has
> over 2GB of swap/tmp.

Even 2GB is not enough if the process goes into a loop, spitting output to
/tmp.

If you consider your ADSM Server important, then you should not be
mounting /tmp on swap, but rather, you should create a seperate filesystem
for /tmp.

> Oh, and this file gets cleared down periodically anyway....
> .....Oh, and it's not very big too!
> I've seen systems that also have big problems is /var fills
> up. I think the main thing is to make /var pretty big and be
> switched-on to keeping the logs under control.
> I guess that once you're happy that the scheduler is running
> correclty, send it's output to /dev/null. It's just, (like I said in
> the original posting), I don't trust it and hence like to keep
> a beady eye on it from time to time.

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)