ADSM-L

Re: 3494 Tape Libraries

2015-10-04 17:33:43
Subject: Re: 3494 Tape Libraries
From: Cook, Dwight E [mailto:cookde AT BP DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
There is a feature for the 3494 where there are dual internal hard drives...
use the "mtlib -l/dev/lmcp# -qL" and look for
   comp avail status..........Primary library manager installed.
                              Primary library manager available.
                              Primary hard drive installed.
                              Primary hard drive available.
                              Secondary hard drive installed.
                              Convenience output station installed.
                              Convenience output station available.

Note the "Secondary hard drive installed."  this is a mirror of the main
volume... there is some extra little voodoo magic that the IBM engineer will
put on to make a recovery easy.

I think the last time we had a drive fail (and we've only had 1 drive out of
6 ATL's (12 drives) in 4 years) it took them 4 hours to get back.

later,
    DWight