ADSM-L

Re: Offsite Storage

2015-10-04 17:33:43
Subject: Re: Offsite Storage
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Two items of note:

1) You'll need to run a full database backup and ship it off as well --
without the *SM database, you've got doodoo.
2) You can run backups of storage pools to copypools and ship them offsite
(mark the volumes with an access=offsite) *or* you can send originals
offsite (mark the volumes with an access=unavailable). If you run
*originals* offsite, *SM will forget about them when they go empty. Copypool
volumes go to status of empty until checked bak into your library.

Keeping track of the database backup is your bag of rocks; *SM only does it
if you use DRM.

What I do --

run a copy of the device config and volume history to a floppy labeled with
the day of week and color-coded by week, and strap (rubber band) the floppy
to the *SM database backup tape. Originals off-site have an extended reuse
delay and are brought back when they go pending; copies are brought back
whether pending or empty; and last week's database backups come back on
Friday of the current week. (we off-site daily).

We've run successful D/R tests from this.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc