ADSM-L

AW: Easy ADSM?

2000-02-04 10:37:13
Subject: AW: Easy ADSM?
From: sal Salak Juraj <sal AT KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 16:37:13 +0100
Hello,

you have already received one excellent answer.

I will limit my focus to your concern about
off-site backup with DLT library.

I have proposal for cheap, not labor intensive DLT
solution, though with some negative consequences.

I used here similar variant.
Because my site is smaller I even used single 4MM DAT
drive to create off-site backups.
It is extremly cheap, you may want something better,
at least a DLT drive or a DLT changer :)

I have defined a NON-collocated backup storage pool
on this DAT drive,
with reclamation value 100% (no reclamation).

I ran daily backup stgorage pool into this backup pool,
this for all primary pools.
Because my daily incrementals fitted on one tape,
the only labor I had with it was to change one tape a day
(and check whether the processes run).
In fact, I was changing the tape maby twice a week,
because it fulfilled my requirements, but you may want
to change your tape(s) daily.

If I had to bring the latest tape offsite which
was still not in full state,
I set it READONLY so that adsm did not require after it.
This tape would be brought off-site,
next "scratch" tape was filled into drive.
There was even no real need need to set this
tapes to off-site state
in ADSM database, because I new: all tapes from this
storage pool, exept the newest ones, are off-site.
And ADSM had no reason to require those tapes
(no reclamation), except for disaster restores.

Because no other storage pools were defined on this DAT drive,
there vere virtually no unsolicited tape changes.

If your daily delta backups does not fit on one tape,
you can purchase small (and cheap) tape changer,
eventually with single tape drive.

What about reclamation?
I had quick-and-dirty solution.
Once I feel there vere too many tapes offsite,
I generated a list of them, picked the ones with
least data or a couple of oldest ones, and deleted them.
Consequently, next BACKUP STG will copy files
which did previously reside on this tapes to
backup stg pool again.
I brought this tapes on-site and put them into
scratch-tapes box.

DRAWBACKS:

I had plenty of tapes off-site with
particulary very small amount of data on them.
This is only practicable if your off-site site
has enough place, and the tape media are cheap.

because tapes utilisation is low,
the gaps on tapes are long.
Consequently, in case of (disaster) restore
the restore will consist almost of file searches
and tape changes, and will be very slow.
Even extremly slow when using DLT which streems gut
but searches/loads slow.

Once again - this works, is NOT labour intensive,
is cheap, but eventually may not fulfill your requirements!

----------------------------------
Another extreme would be an extra
Another extreme would be an extra
library located in your off-site location
connected over scsi extender or something simmilar.
Almost no labour costs, excelent quality solution,
maybe not very cheap..
-----------------------------------
Juraj Salak
Juraj Salak