ADSM-L

AW: Designing a solution for fast manual restore

2000-02-03 06:25:36
Subject: AW: Designing a solution for fast manual restore
From: sal Salak Juraj <sal AT KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:25:36 +0100
Hello Eric,

I am coping with similar issues
and untill now I have not found
an 100% solution.

However, I am playing in mind with
the idea of using the TSM´s 3.7
new feature for this purpose:
rapid recover, lan free.
(once I have TSM 3.7)

On the paper it looks like following:
I would regulary generate
off-site rapid recovery tapes
for selected important data
from selected importanant nodes.

It is very similar to your regular
full-backup approach, but with advantages:

 - the adsm db will not grow (each rapid recovery
backup tape is treated as single object in the DB)

 - the regular "full backup" is cheaper as
both data source and target is ADSM Server,
the clients & network are not involved at all

 - the restore, assuming you attach
local tape devices to your nodes, is much quicker,
as the tapes will be probybly streaming
and there is no network involved

 - the restore would not depend on ADSM server at all,
so after disaster I can first restore
important file server HW first and only
after that the ADSM server

 - "your" regular full backups generate
regulary new unnecessary
file versions in ADSM, eventually pushing
necessary, older ones away.
"My" regular full backup does not alter
storage pools at all.

Disadvantages:

 - for several reasons you still
will need the common off-site
storage pool in addition to the new approach,
so your backup effort/costs
are higher

 - you will need to plan for a couple of locally
attached tape drives after disaster

 - this tape drives will probably not be of 3590 type,
so you will have to introduce another tape technology,
like DLT, in addition to your existing one

Any objectives?

Juraj Salak

KEBA AG
Softwareentwicklung Bankautomation
Gewerbepark Urfahr 14 - 16
Postfach 111
A-4041 Linz
Österreich

Tel. ++43/732/7090-7461
Fax ++43/732/730910
e-mail: sal AT keba.co DOT at
www.keba.co.at

P.S. I have a question about your process:
You create tapes in an storage pool in an tape library,
and during disaster recovery you restore
from this tapes using singe tape drives.
How do you manage this?
As far as I now one cannot move tapes among storage pools
and one cannot mix libraries and single drives in one
device class => storage pool?
One even cannot combine two identical libraries together!