ADSM-L

Re: Compression

2000-01-31 18:41:28
Subject: Re: Compression
From: "Groetken, Kevin" <k-groetken AT TI DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:41:28 -0600
We have two ADSM servers running on our mainframe that backup 100+ large
UNIX servers. We had compression set to off and were missing our nightly
schedule. We took the 10 servers that sent the most data on each ADSM server
and set compression on. The results were significant. We got better
utilization of our disk pools, less tape mounts and better network
throughput. Our backups were running into the morning and after setting
compression on to these 20 servers we are done before 07:00AM on a regular
basis. Compression percentages were anywhere from 30% to 70%.

Regards,
Kevin Groetken
Enterprise Computing
Texas Instruments Inc.