ADSM-L

Re: Error Message ANS1256E

2000-01-28 15:10:59
Subject: Re: Error Message ANS1256E
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:10:59 -0500
>I'm getting an Error message ANS1256E which is crashing my backup of an
>NT workstation to
>an AS/400 Server.  I have not been able to find this message in the
>books. Can anyone help ?

Sometimes the messages are erroneously omitted from the manuals; sometimes
they are not there because software has obsoleted them.  But ADSM clients
and servers have that Help command to let you look up message numbers,
so no manuals required.

Here are my notes on that message number:

ANS1256E Cannot make file/directory.
        If a Windows machine, possibly one of the following:
         1. "Permission Folder" was deleted by mistake
         2. Illegal characters (maybe "?") used in file/dir name
         3. File name (including directory path) exceeds 255 characters
            You can check this by going to the subdirectory note in the error
            messages, then right clicking, selecting permissions and attempt to
            reapply the permissions on this directory.  Windows should give you
            an error at this point saying that it can't apply valid security
            permissions to a certain file(s).  These are your offending
            files... either rename / delete.
        Of course, as an expedient you can Exclude the offending objects.

 Richard Sims, BU