ADSM-L

batch repacking of an optical library

2000-01-26 15:39:30
Subject: batch repacking of an optical library
From: Lester Buck <buck AT CLEARLAKE.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:39:30 -0600
We have two 3995-C64 rewritable optical libraries which hold archived
medical images under AIX ADSM.  Only one library has ever been active,
though eventually we will be switching back and forth to even out the
stores and retrievals.

The application architecture has a systemic defect, which will not be
corrected for a few more months, in that it writes each archived image
twice, so most optical volumes are only about half full.  Each library
has (only) two optical drives.

As the first library approaches being full, we want to repack all the
disks.  The data is time ordered, and another requirement is to repack
the oldest data together, and avoid mixing new with old data.

Until now, the optical was our only copy of the data, and we want to
start making off-site copies, so we started a long backup job to a copy
pool on 8mm tape.  This job has had problems staying running, because
of preemption and other problems.  Does anyone know a good procedure to
make such a large backup (estimated ten tapes and 60 hours) reliably?

Once we have a backup copy, we want to start repacking from the almost
full library to the new, empty library with empty volumes.  Are there
any tricks to this?  We plan to MOVE DATA from the old library to
volumes in the new library.  Should this lead to near 100% utilization
of the volumes, for static old data?

Thanks alot!

Lester
--