ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:35:06
Recently Kelly wrote
"q stg f=3Dd and look for the value of reusedelay.  Typically, for =
primary
storage pools set this value to 0."

Kelly is usually right on the money, but I'd like to get straight about
this.

In many situations where there is a real disaster that destroys the *SM
database
the onsite primary tapes will also be unavailable or damaged. In these =
cases
it
is pointless to have reusedelay of other than zero.  However, there are =
range
of real problems that could require a database restore and some of =
these
will
not necessarily manifest themselves immediately, requiring a reversion =
to a
database backup earlier than the point of database corruption. Thus I =
set
primary storagepool reusedelay to be the same as the dbbackup expiry =
time.

I'm at a small site, and we have primary and offsite storagepools only:
perhaps
it is more usual to have primary/local copypool/offsite copypool setup, =
in
which
case this will be less of a problem as tapes don't have to come back =
from
offsite.

If I can convince myself that it is safe to do so, I would love to set =
the
primary reusedelay to zero as it would remove the problem of pending =
tapes
in
our small library, and I could then run expiration more often.

Discussion?

Steve Harris

AIX/ADSM/Oracle/HACMP Guy

The Wesley Hospital, Brisbane, Australia

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
This email message has been swept by MIMESweeper