ADSM-L

Re: ADSM full DB Backup

2000-01-19 05:57:27
Subject: Re: ADSM full DB Backup
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 05:57:27 -0500
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Hoelscher, Hans-Peter wrote:
> Hi all out there,
>
> is it possible to have a ADSM DB BACKUP on a hard disk file system. I have
> an ADSM WinNT 3.1.2 Server running. Normally you have to take the backup to
> a sequentiell access volume.

You sure can backup to a file.  Just define a devclass of file, and a
schedule for the dbbackup:

define devclass file devt=file mountlimit=6 maxcap=2048m
   dir=path-to-place-the-dbbackups-in

define sched dbbackup_full2file t=a day=any active=yes startt=12:00 dur=2
   duru=h cmd='backup db devclass=file type=full'

You need to be sure you have enough space to hold all of the dbbackups you
are going to keep, and be sure to expire old ones:

define sched DB_HISTORY t=a desc='Remove old DataBase Backup Volumes'
   cmd='delete volhist t=dbb tod=-2' startt=11:00 day=any dur=1 duru=h
   active=yes

If you are taking weekly fulls with daily incrementals, then adjust tod=
in the db_history accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)