ADSM-L

AW: On a separate note

2015-10-04 17:35:06
Subject: AW: On a separate note
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi,

concerning the performance of ADSM on NT4
my suggestion is to plan your database,
log and disk storage pool volumes configurationas
as carefully as you can.
My very simplified suggestion is
to use disks with shortest access times available,
to use as many disks as possible as opposite to
few large disks,
not to use raid5 at all,
and to use an 80MB/s scsi controller with hardware
cache on-board if possible.
The latest approximately
doubled the throughoutput on my NT4 server
and made my expiration/auditdb times muuuch
shorter (now 4 hours audit db /3.5GB database.
This surprised me, because my NT/software cache
had always been approx. 100 MB large,
and the HW cache added was only 64MB
(to be exact: another difference that came along with cache:
2 80MB/s SCSI channels instead of 2 channels 40MB/s),
but it simply did help us that much.
Surely, this may substantially differ in
other configurations.

It would be nice if you posted your results
once you have them!

Bye

Salak Juraj
KEBA AG