ADSM-L

Re: DRM and NT ADSM SERVER with STK 9710

2000-01-13 11:03:09
Subject: Re: DRM and NT ADSM SERVER with STK 9710
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:03:09 -0500
Yes, we have reclamation turned on for the copy pool.

It's very cool - when ADSM sees that one of the offsite tapes needs
reclamation, it knows which files are on the offsite tapes, and where the
files live in the primary tape pool.  Since it can't mount the offsite tapes
for reclamation, it just starts mounting the onsite tapes and puts new
copies of those files onto a copy pool tape, then expires the offsite tape.

Next time you do a MOVE DRMEDIA, you will see the new tape is ready to
eject, and the offsite tape is in VAULTRETRIEVE status, empty and ready to
come back.  Works very well.  Causes a lot of tape mounts if your onsite
pool is collocated and you offsite pool is not, but then, that's what your
9710 is for!

Yes, I have automated the ejecting of tapes for vaulting.  Our setup is a
bit different from yours though, our ADSM server is AIX (which doesn't make
a difference), and we drive the 9710's with the STK ACSLS software (which
makes a lot of difference).  That makes it an "ACS" library to ADSM.
Instead of sending commands directly to the 9710, ADSM sends the request to
ACSLS, which sends the commands to the 9710.

Because of that setup, we can use MOVE DRMEDIA for everything but the
ejecting part.  I have an AIX script that runs MOVE DRMEDIA EJECT=NO, writes
the list of tapes to a file, then invokes ACSLS to read that list and eject
the tapes.  YOu shouldn't have to do that.

Enter this command:  Q DRMSTATUS

Look at the output, make sure all the parms are set to what you want them to
be.  Change the with the SET command if you need to.

Then all you should have to do is enter:

MOVE DRMEDIA * WHEREST=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER (or VAULT)

and ADSM should check the tapes out of the library, change their access to
OFFSITE,  and eject them for you.

If you want an operator to do it, you can put that command in to an ADSM
server script, so that all the operator has to do is enter RUN EJECT;  or,
what I have done is create an AIX shell script so the operators don't have
to even start the ADSM admin interface.  The script invokes dsmadmc (the
ADSM admin interface in batch mode) and fires the command from the
operator's AIX menu.  All sorts of possibilities for automating it, once you
get it working.

Good luck!
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert