ADSM-L

Re: MKSYSB and ADSM

2000-01-13 09:31:34
Subject: Re: MKSYSB and ADSM
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:31:34 +0200
Hi Brian,

Sorry I'm only responding now -I'm a bit behind in my E-mail.

You didn't mention how this AIX node is connected to the OS/390
server - network wise...

What you can do to test the throughput you are getting and if
the problem is network related or ADSM related is to do an
FTP from the AIX machine to your OS/390 machine of about
a 200M file. Check the kb/sec stats at the end of the FTP.
Now backup the same 200M file with ADSM and compare the
time taken to do this - if they are roughly the same your
problem is with the network.

A while back we had pathetic performance from one of our
SP/2 nodes directly attached to the OS/390 system via
ESCON. It turned out that the static routing table on the
TCP/IP started task on OS/390 was changed so that the default
route for return IP traffic was going across an IBM3172 with
a 4M/bit connection to the LAN.

You can verify the route and return path your ip traffic is
taking by doing a ping -R from your AIX machine to OS/390.

Let me know if this has helped.

Regards

Christo Heuer
ABSA Bank