ADSM-L

Re: Upgrade AIT -1 to AIT-2

2000-01-12 14:39:52
Subject: Re: Upgrade AIT -1 to AIT-2
From: Jim Jepson <jepson AT APPLE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:39:52 -0800
Hi Jason,

"query volume <volume name>" does show the estimated capacity.  However,
as the Sys Admin you can set that number.  So you need to know how the
devclass was setup.  Was it set to have the system estimate the
capacity, or was the estimated total capacity defined by the Sys Admin.

I based my numbers by assigning a estimated total capacity, then once
the system "filled" the tape, I verified the capacity with "query volume
<volume name> f=d".  For example:

adsm> q vol 000011

Volume Name                 Storage        Device        Estimated
Pct     Volume
                            Pool Name      Class Name     Capacity
Util     Status
                                                              (MB)

------------------------    -----------    ----------    ---------
-----    --------
-----    --------
000011                      SCALAR         AIT           102,400.0
000011                      SCALAR         AIT           102,400.0
42.0    Filling

Note that since volume 000011 is still filling, the assigned estimated
capacity does not accurately reflect how much data is on the tape.  Only
after the system has marked the tape as full, will you get an accurate
estimated data capacity.  For example:

adsm> q vol 000010 f=d

                   Volume Name: 000010
             Storage Pool Name: SCALAR
             Device Class Name: AIT
       Estimated Capacity (MB): 55,183.5
                      Pct Util: 100.0
                 Volume Status: Full

And as Mark mentioned before, your mileage may vary.  Oh and Mark,
Thanks for the info on AITC.  My documentation only mentions AITC for
the compression on Sony SDX-500C devices, so that is good to know.

Thanks, -JJ