ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:35:05
Hi,

I've a general question concerning back-up strategy and 'how-to-use' =
ADSM.
Several years age we started using ADSM to back-up our LAN servers =
because
we were seeing an unstoppable proliferation of LAN back-up hardware =
attached
to those servers, and an unacceptable growth of the manual operations =
that
come with that.
Since then, of course, our LAN environment has grown tremendously, and =
right
now we find ourselves in the following situation:
ADSM 3.1 on OS/390 as server environment
+/- 500 GB of LAN data, on some thirty Windows NT application servers =
and
5 Novell Netware file servers
daily bacup schedules that back-up about 20 GB of changed data (in =
total)
mainframe - LAN connection: a 100 Mbit OSA card for the NT clients, =
16
Mbit TR OSA card for the Novell clients

In this situation, backing up the changed data is not really a problem: =
the
longest back-up schedules run 2 to 3 hours. The problem is: data =
restore.
The fastest performance we're seeing for data restore is +/- 2 GB per =
hour,
this is for collocated clients. (Non-collocated it's dramatic ...)  If =
we
want to restore clients with 30 GB or more data on it, we'll need at =
least
15 to 20 hours to bring the client back up. As you can imagine, that =
kind of
downtime is unacceptable. The problem is that I've run out of ideas of =
how
to substantially increase the restore performance, the most importance
bottle necks apparently being the network and the CPU utilisation on
mainframe. So now we've come to a point where we are seriously =
considering
again attaching DLT drives to our larger servers and backing them up =
that
way ... back to where we came from, as it were ...

So, a very long explanation just to ask this simple question: are we
overlooking something ? What are you guys out there doing to back-up =
all
those gigabytes of data and how do you manage to restore them without
sending all your users home for 2 days ?
All ideas are welcome.

Chris De Bondt,
DVV System Engineer

Tel: 02/286.68.29