ADSM-L

Reclamation watching

2000-01-11 11:40:49
Subject: Reclamation watching
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:40:49 -0500
> If I am running a reclamation on an on-line tape storage pool, then I can
> watch the tape that is being read / reclaimed (Q VOL <name>) and see how
> much of the tape is left to be reclaimed.
>
> If I am running a reclamation on an off-line tape storage pool, then ADSM
> reads the data from the on-line pool (i.e. from a tape that is NOT being
> reclaimed) and writes a new tape - so I don't know how well it is doing.
>
> Is there a way of watching ADSM to decide how far through the reclamation
> process is??
> How do I know which tape is being reclaimed??

When offsite reclamation starts, message ANR1040I is issued for each tape to
be reclaimed. This message lists the volume serial number and the process
number of the reclamation process.

QUERY VOLUME commands for the tapes being reclaimed will show gradually
decreasing occupancy as reclamation proceeds.

If two or more offsite tapes in a given storage pool are being reclaimed,
reductions in occupancy for the various volumes will be interleaved. Consider
a case where two offsite tapes are being reclaimed, and two onsite tapes each
contain some of the data required to recreate the contents of either of the
two offsite tapes. One of the onsite volumes would be mounted once, and all of
the contents it shared with either of the two volumes needing reclamation
would be copied in one pass. Once this was done, the other onsite volume would
be mounted once, and all of the contents it shared with either of the two
volumes needing reclamation would be copied in one pass. If you ran repeated
QUERY VOLUME commands for the offsite volumes during the process you would see
several transition points at which occupancy for one volume stopped changing
and occupancy for the other volume started decreasing.