ADSM-L

Re: Database cache percentage

2000-01-11 11:09:34
Subject: Re: Database cache percentage
From: Phil Scarr <prscarr AT GREYMOUSER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:09:34 -0800
On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 07:40:13AM -0800, Joshua S. Bassi wrote:
> > I do not know about on AIX, but on a 32 bit Sun system each process
> > can only consume 2GB or so of virtual memory despite having >2GB of
> > physical memory and swap in the system.  AIX could have absolute
> > limits on process size as well.
>
> Yes, AIX has removed this limitation.  If memory serves me correct,
> it was removed in AIX 4.2.  I think there is a *theoretical* limit
> now too, but I just can't remember what it is.

Well, any 32-bit OS can only address 4294967296 bytes (4096 Mb) of
total memory (2^32) per process.  What you can do is determine how that
memory is divided between text, stack and data (if I remember those
terms correctly).  Sun has a patch that lets you assign 3.75mb of data
space, but it's not recommended on anything other than a dedicated
database system.

But 64-bit OSs (Solaris 7, Tru64, etc.) have access to
18446744073709551616 bytes (17592186044416 Mb or 16384 PetaBytes if I'm
doing the math right) of memory (2^64).

So, unless AIX 4.2 is a 64bit OS, you're stuck at 4gb max.

        -Phil

--
                                                     GREYMOUSER CONSULTING
                                                     GREYMOUSER CONSULTING