ADSM-L

Re: moving ADSM server to different LPAR on OS390

2000-01-10 18:49:05
Subject: Re: moving ADSM server to different LPAR on OS390
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:49:05 -0500
It's pretty easy to do.  It's really no different than moving any other
large application system across LPARS.

First you have to get the ADSM code running on the new LPAR.
You can install it with SMP, or a lot of people are running with SYSRES
volumes that are cloned from another LPAR, anyway.

Assuming that you can vary your disk pools online to the new LPAR and don't
have to actually move any files physically, here are some things to check:

1) Look at your ADSM start up proc.  Make sure that all the data sets the
proc points to exist and are cataloged on the new LPAR.  If you share
catalogs across LPARs, you will have little work to do.  If you aren't
sharing catalogs across LPARs, you have to do the necessary work to define
the high level qualfier in the master cat, and make sure it has the
appropriate definitions/permissions in your security system (RACF, ACF2)
before cataloging the data sets.

2) ADSM itself is probably defined with some special attributes to your
security system (RACF,ACF2).  Make sure the definitions on the new LPAR
match the definitions on the old LPAR.

3) As you mentioned, your IP address (hopefully you are using a DNS alias)
will change.

4) Check the DEVCLASS definitions you use.  In the DEVCLASS definition is a
UNIT, that points to your MVS tape drives.  Make sure the UNIT is going to
point to the right group of drives on the new LPAR, and that those drives
will be online when you need them.

5) The big piece is making your tape management system happy.  This is
usually the toughest piece, since many people don't normally share tape
catalogs across LPARs.   I've never deal with RMM.  With CA-1, you have to
make sure that ADSM is defined as an "External data manager", make sure the
ARCTVEXT exit is installed on the new LPAR, and then MOVE the ADSM tapes
from the old LPAR tape catalog (TMC) to the new LPAR tape catalog.  For
CA-1, there is a utility that lets you export a range of tapes from one TMC
into the other.  For RMM - I don't know.

6) Once your tape management catalog is correct, if you have a robotic
library, REVIEW how the robot's scratch tape pool gets synced with the tape
management scratch pool - it differs depending on whose softare you are
using.  DO NOT START processing with ADSM until you are SURE that the list
of SCRATCH tapes is correct on the new LPAR!

That's all I can think of - good luck!

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert